Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Trip to Mount Shark...

Most of the time when I come to Canmore, it is for a race or a camp and we spend most, if not all, of our time on the race trails, which means a lot of hills and tricky corners to negotiate. It's good practice for racing, but when you want to get in a long easy ski, it doesn't really work so well. So today Andrea took me, Margarita, Alexi, Robert and Jamie up to Mount Shark and it was beautiful! We skied about 20km on rolling terrain and, as you can see from this photo, the view was fabulous! Another nice sunny day and a very nice ski!

On the way home, Andrea commented that the only time I see wildlife is with her and she's right. On our way to Canmore in November, we saw big horn sheep right on the side of the road. They were so close, I almost could have reached out my window and touched them. When we got to Canmore, we saw elk up close. At Mount Washington earlier this month, a whiskey jack flew down and hopped around at our feet while we added a layer of wax to our skis while out on the trails. Today, a squirrel ran across the trail so close I could actually see it bounding in front of us as opposed to it just being a blur, or, what happens the most often, me hearing Andrea go "Wow!" and me saying, "What?" and being too late to see anything. And today on our way home, just as Andrea made the comment about us seeing lots of wildlife, right around the corner was a mountain goat!

No comments:

Post a Comment